Wedding guest style for ladies
* Informal Daytime: Short dress or suit (business attire OK for morning weddings)
* Informal Evening: Cocktail dress
* Semi-formal Daytime: Short dress or suit
* Semi-formal Evening: Cocktail dress
* Formal Daytime: Short dress or suit. Hats and gloves optional.
* Formal Evening or Black-Tie: Long or dressy short cocktail (beading, glam accessories, wrap)
* Ultra-formal or White Tie: Long gown, extra glitz (furs, diamonds, etc.)
Dos and Don’ts for ladies
* Don’t wear white because it competes with the bride. There are plenty of other colours available.
* Don’t wear black or sequins during the daytime.
* Don’t worry about wearing the same colours as the bridesmaids or mothers. You can’t possibly coordinate with everyone in the wedding party.
* Do wear something feminine and appropriate, out of respect for your hosts. Clubwear, overtly sexy clothing (strapless, see-through, etc) doesn’t belong at a wedding. If you have to ask if it’s appropriate, it probably isn’t.
* Don’t wear opera-length gloves (to top of arm) with anything but sleeveless or strapless gowns.
* Do take off gloves to eat or drink.
*Do use good judgment if the invitation doesn’t specify the formality of the event. A pastel suit or soft floral dress for daytime or a little black dress for evening (after 6 p.m.) will take you almost anywhere.
Wedding style for men
*Informal Daytime: Dress shirt and pants, preferably a sports jacket.
*Informal Evening: Suit
*Semi-formal Daytime: Suit
*Semi-formal Evening: Dark suit
*Formal Daytime: Dark suit and tie
*Formal Evening: Dark suit and tie (if invitation states “black tie”) or dark suits if women wear short dresses.
Do’s and Don’ts for men
* If “Creative Black Tie” or some sort of other vague formal description is used, then going with a black shirt, no tie, might be acceptable.
* Do wear a dark suit, with a tie if the wedding is after 6 PM, and doesn’t say “Black Tie.”
* Do use good judgement if the invitation doesn’t specify the formality of the event. A dark suit and conservative tie will take you just about anywhere.